Panhellenic Recruitment functions in two ways: formal and informal. The majority of sorority women join chapters through Formal Recruitment, which takes place every Fall the week before school begins. PHA Recruitment is a mutual selection process where a potential member has the opportunity to meet with chapter members, ask a variety of questions, and tour the living units. Learn more about BOTH forms of Panhellenic Recruitment on Mizzou’s campus.
Informal Recruitment is the process that sororities use to recruit new members. Unlike Formal Recruitment, a Potential New Member engaged in Informal Recruitment will not visit all of the sororities. When a sorority decides to offer Informal Recruitment, they contact Potential New Members through the forms that were filled out by Potential New Members by clicking here and hold a series of informal events to get to know her better. Registration on the part of the potential new member is necessary to join a chapter. All women that have not been initiated by another chapter in the past are eligible to participate!
There are a few key differences between Formal Recruitment and Informal Recruitment that are important to keep in mind:
- Informal Recruitment almost never involves all of the sororities at any particular time. Those who do take part usually have only a few spots open for new members. Therefore, the opportunity to join a sorority during Informal Recruitment is much lower than during Formal Recruitment.
- Informal Recruitment is a much less structured process. You do not get the overall view of Sorority Life, nor do you see what each sorority is about. Most of the women who join through Informal Recruitment do so because they have been on campus for a while and have a better feel for which sororities they would be comfortable joining.
For many reasons, including wanting to get to know all the sororities, most women choose Formal Recruitment as their way to join a sorority. However, if you find that you are unable to go through Formal Recruitment for any reason, keep in mind that Informal Recruitment may occur each Fall and Spring semester. This means that the chapters participating in Informal Recruitment will vary throughout the year.
Chapters Participating in Informal Recruitment
Phi Mu Sigma Sigma Sigma
Sunday, August 12, 2018-Sunday, August 19, 2018
PHA Formal Recruitment Information
- Registration for Formal Recruitment 2018 will open on Friday, June 1 at 9am CST and will close on Thursday, July 26 at noon CST.
- Late registrations are NOT accepted and NO EXCEPTIONS will be made.
- Cost=$200.00 per person from June 1st – June 31st and $225.00 starting July 1st (includes room, board, tee shirts and processing fees)—this fee is NON-REFUNDABLE.
- For participants who live on campus, move-in will take place on Sunday, August 12th. Specific move-in times vary by Residential Hall.
- For participants who live off campus, lodging is your own responsibility. You will be given a dining hall card for your lunches Monday-Friday of Formal Recruitment.
- In order to register you must upload a copy of your latest transcript. This could be in the form of official, unofficial, or latest report card.
- Students must be fully admitted to the University in order to register.
- It is HIGHLY recommended that women participating in formal recruitment or informal recruitment have at or above a 3.5 cumulative high school or college GPA at the time they are seeking membership. Visit the FAQ page for more information.
- If you are sophomore university student partaking in formal recruitment it is HIGHLY recommended that you have a 3.0 GPA or higher.
- Once your registration is completed you will not be able to login and make changes.
Have questions about formal sorority recruitment? Check out Recruitment FAQ!